Our in-office Specialist test procedures at Family Hearing Aid Center are used to provide a comprehensive hearing evaluation and diagnosis. Our skilled team seeks to restore and improve your hearing and we provide some of the best hearing aids in Hawaii.
Book an appointment today!
Hearing Assessment Forms
Your in-office appointment will begin with a couple of simple one-page forms. To save time on your visit, download and complete these PDF Forms:
Your Specialist in Hawaii will test your hearing as follows:
- Hearing Interview: Your Specialist will ask about your hearing history and lifestyle contexts. This includes questions about your occupation (past and present), hobbies and activities. You will also be asked about your home and common public environments (particularly noisy places like restaurants).
- Ear Canal Inspection: Family Hearing Aid Center will take an in-depth look into your ear using an instrument called a “video otoscope.” This will inspect your eardrum and the ear canal. A common finding is that earwax is totally or partially blocking the canal so a good cleaning may be all you need.
- Pure Tone Test: This test is carried out in a silent environment, such as a soundproof booth. An Specialist will insert ear pieces into your ears and use a “digital audiometer” to play tones at various volumes. You will push a button or raise your hand whenever you hear a tone. This audiologist test determines the threshold which sound frequencies are heard, which is helpful in diagnosing those afflicted by tinnitus, or ringing, clicking, hissing, or roaring sounds in the ear when no sound is actually present.
- Acoustic Reflex Test: This test looks for abnormalities in middle and outer ear areas. Your Specialist will insert a device that will change the pressure within your ear. Common issues identified include perforated eardrums or fluid behind the eardrum.
- Hearing in Noise Test (HINT): The HINT Specialist test measures speech reception thresholds and word discrimination capabilities in noisy environments. There’s a big difference between hearing sounds in general and comprehending words, especially when background sound or other noises interfere.
- Speech Map Test: This Specialist test measures sound correction performance in relationship with a patient’s hearing loss within a (+) or (-) of 3 db accuracy.
Hearing Aid Recommendations
If your audiology test indicates that hearing aids will improve your lifestyle, our Specialists in Hawaii will present relevant hearing aid options. This includes letting you actually hear the difference that hearing instruments will make for you.
To schedule your professional hearing test, contact Family Hearing Aid Center.